Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Sunday, June 5, 2011

Snippets of Sunday - Chilly Smoke

I smell like smoke. NO! I haven't been smoking, I've just been standing near a fire.
My darling decided to burn the great pile of rose bush clippings that I had made a few months ago. Let me just say, I've been asked oh so politely not to do that again.
I won't. I promise!

Anyway, today is a clear, sunny, windy and very cold day. Having this fire burning on such a winters day made me feel nostalgic. I was transported right back to the years I spent as a kid, growing up on 13 acres in the bush. Riding pushbikes. Riding motorbikes. Roaming the bush in search of some mischief to get up to.

I loved Sunday afternoons in winter out there. The trees casting long shadows early in the afternoon. There was usually the echo of a chainsaw happening somewhere on a neighbouring propery. Sometimes it was the sound of Dad using the chainsaw or even the tractor to mow the grass.
And there was always the smell of smoke. Be it from our chimney or from Dad or a neighbour burning off.
Yep, this afternoons mix of chill in the air and smell of smoke took me right back to that carefree time of my life. 


It's no wonder some people live in the past.
Nostalgia is a powerful emotion.
I think I'm just going to stay there for the rest of today.

~ Ky x

5 comments:

Bebie said...

Me too. You've painted a grand picture for us all and oh how clearly I remember how the smoke settled through our little valley on the kitchen side of the house when the Pathfinders camped there. Yes, those were snuggley days. XX

Ms. Becky said...

these are lovely memories Ky, thanks for taking me along with you. you must have had a whole lot of space around you when growing up, and that gives us similar childhoods. I'm really wanting one of those burners you've got there. Never seen one like it, but it's great! Have a wonderful week Ky.

Unknown said...

Really pretty pictures! Love them.

Thrifted Treasure said...

I love Winter too! We've been lighting fires in the fireplace and toasting marshmallows for the boys :-)

Michelle said...

Love the warmth of this post...the fire and the fond memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails