Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Monday, August 2, 2010

Laundry Basket Problem Solved

I have a problem. Actually, until last week, I had a problem. Small laundry + winter in Melbourne+ too small laundry basket = Problem. An almost constant pile of dirty laundry. I could never keep that room looking tidy!
Enter my genious, problem solving, handyman hubby. He is a site foreman for a construction company and he came home with this cupboard. It's brand new. Made for part of reno's of a school on one of the jobs he is doing, but  it's the wrong size, so instead of tossing it, he thought of a GREAT idea!

He thought it would make a great laundry basket. Yes, I know it's not a basket, but that's the job this cupboard is now doing, so, it's called a laundry basket! It's huge! I will never have a dirty clothes overflow again! It's also VERY red! Fortunately, the laundry is all white, so this doesn't clash with anything. I don't mind it. Maybe one day I'll paint it a more appealling colour.
The only problem I have now is trying to keep these two out of it. They think it makes a great cubby. They can both fit in there quite comfortably with the door closed. Somewhere to hide from Mum. On Friday I was busy doing house stuff and then realised that I didn't know where Monkey was. I looked everywhere. I finally found him hiding in here, with the portable dvd player, watching one of his dvd's. He promptly told me to close the door. Cheeky Monkey!
This is what it looks like now. I asked hubby to hinge the lid so that I could still use half off it to store things on, but lift the front half to throw in the dirty laundry. I then open the door and pull out the clothes when I'm ready to sort and wash. Clever, huh?!
Ugly pile of dirty laundry problem is solved! And it didn't cost us a cent! Hubby already had the hinges up in the shed. Thanks clever hubby! I love that he is always thinking of ways to make my job a little easier.

~ Ky x

6 comments:

by marie-nicole said...

That's brilliant... and I like the colour too.
Cheers to your handy hubby!

Bebie said...

Love it! Can just see monkey emptying it out so's he can get in and watch his DVD. hehehe.

CraftyMummy said...

That's so great! I love it! And it makes a fabulous hideout for the kids - you might need a second one ;)

Shannan Martin said...

Genius!

And I LOVED that you told me to take a chill pill. It had me cracking up all morning and I even read it to Cory. It may ease your mind that I'm not really super bent-out-of-shape over my baseball mits/hands. But Ky, they are dang big. What's a girl to do? Laugh, and the world laughs with me. I hope. :)

Lindz said...

what a great idea!!

Donna said...

That is a great idea Ky! I'm needing a new hamper myself. I need something just like that. Cute kiddos! And what a guy. I'm so impressed at his handiwork.

Related Posts with Thumbnails