John Bunyan's the Pilgrim's Progress was first published in 1678. I bought my very first copy in 2010. I found it in the classics section of a cute little op shop last week. I thought I'd buy it and read it as I had heard and read over the years what a great book it is. So last night I picked it up and began reading it. It wasn't too many paragraphs later that I realised that this was not going to be an easy task. In my head I was thinking, "Really? This is how they spoke back then? Too hard! Too hard! I don't know what's going on!"
I put the book down after 4 pages. I just couldn't do it. It took me twice as long to read that as it would any more modern style of writing. I thought I did really well to read C.S. Lewis' autobiography, but this one is just too old school for me. I may need to try reading it during the day and not when I should actually be sleeping.
Go on. Have a little read of the first three pages if you haven't read the book already.
"...the children of my bowels..." What on earth does that mean?
Not exactly easy, is it?
Would someone please just give me the jist of what the book is about, and then I won't have to torture myself with reading it anymore.
It can just look pretty on my bookshelf.
~ Ky x

5 comments:
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/pilgrims/
I've never read it either. Sorry I can't help with a synopsis. Does look like some hard yards - definitely not light reading. sometimes you just have to come back to a book another time in another frame of mind and you like it.
Love the publishers logo by the way... I have a book 'The Swiss Family Robinsons' with the same logo - so sweet.
There are many abriged versions and children's versions out there.
I love the Pilgrim's Progress incidentally and when I was about 10 or 11, I happened upon an illustrated version... sort of like a comic book. It was wonderful. I don't know if it's still in print or how you could get your hands on it.
Worth reading... and worth getting the kiddies into it once they're old enough.
Pilgrim's Progress is basically about the journey of a man called "Christian" who attempts to find his way to Celestial City. Throughout his journey he encounters different/interesting characters and places like Hopeful, Faithful, Piliable, Prudence, Worldly Wiseman, Palace Beautiful, Slough of Despond, Doubting Castle.
In short it's an allegory of the Christian life.
All that aside, the influence of Pilgrim's Progress on the English language is quite considerable actually.
Love it! Yep, great book, very meaningful story but i too recommend a modern version or abridged one!
Thank you ladies and gentleman. I will have to keep my eye out for a modern version. It sounds like a great story, I just don't have the patience to read it in the old english style of writing. I feel smart when I do, but it just takes me too long as it doesn't flow as easily as the modern way of writing.
Post a Comment