Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Friday, August 13, 2010

Op Shop Treasure - An Illustrated Bible

Browsing through the Sacred Heart op shop on Chappell St this morning, I came across this old, illustrated King James Version Bible. I picked it up and flicked through it's well worn pages and decided that I just had to have it. I do love a book with old illustrations in it. These lovely old style illustrations are by the artist, John Turner. Disappointingly, there is nowhere inside this bible that shows when this edition was published.  

Ok, so it's not in perfect nick.

Cain and Abel

Noah's Ark

Abraham and Isaac

Joseph and his brothers

Israelites marching around the wall of Jericho

Samson

David and Goliath

Elijah's sacrifice

Daniel in the lion's den

Jonah being thrown overboard

Wisemen visit Baby Jesus

Simeon's blessing

The Good Samaritan

Jesus teaching his disciples

Pilate washing his hands of Jesus blood

The Resurrection

And sadly, there is no picture of the second coming of Christ.

These aren't all the pictures, but most of them.
I love to see an artists impression of stories from the bible. I'm a visual person and it helps to give the story more meaning for me.

Have a great weekend!

~ Ky x

6 comments:

Bebie said...

What a find! I wonder if you could write to the publisher and describe it? XX

by marie-nicole said...

That's fantastic Ky.

While you're at it why don't you ask if they did an illustrated version of Pilgrim's Progress... LOL :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!
x

Bebie said...

Yes, there's an illustrated version of Pilgrim's Progress.
XX

The homesteadingcottage said...

This reminds me of the Bibles from my childhood (: I remember flipping through them before I could read and telling Mommy and Daddy the stories of Jesus...thanks for the reflection today (:

Michele
XOXO

Zanyta said...

That is amazing! Great pictures.

Z

Shannan Martin said...

So cool! Calvin would totally dig this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails