Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Chooks

Monkey and I drove out to the country after dropping Angel off at school this morning. I LOVE the country and hope to live in it one day, but for now, it's just for little visits. It's just so green and lush. It is balm for the eyes of a city dweller. Quenching a thirst that is rarely satisfied in the city. *sigh* I must dawdle on out there more often.

So, we rocked on up to the poultry farm, and I knew it the moment I opened the car door. A blind man would know he was at a chook farm. The stench is appalling!
Monkey opted to stay in the car and play games on my iPhone, so I was on my own. I had to do the choosing all by myself. Wasn't hard really. I just said to the lady, "l'll have 2 brown ones and one light brown one please."
She reached right into that cage and grabbed two of them by their legs. I could tell she had done this before.
As she did that, I was imagining the chooks talking to each other just like they do in animated movies, you know, in English for the movie goers, but if a person in the movie heard them all they'd hear is, "Brrrk, Brrk, Brk, Brrrrk...",
Anyway, so I was imagining them saying something like, "Oh no, they've got Doris!"
Doris yells,"Help, that woman's got my legs! Help, help!". Then Max pipes in,"She's got mine too. That means we're going together. Stick with me. It'll be alright!" All the other chooks were calling out, "Oh, we'll miss you! Bye Doris, Bye Max. Hope you don't become dinner!"
Then into the box they went.
All the lady and I heard was, " Brrk, brrrk, brk, brk, brrrrrk."
Next was the light brown chooks turn. She says,"Get your hands off me woman! If you'd just ask me nicely, I'll walk into that box for you. You don't have to grab me by the legs and put me upside down. JUST ASK ME NICELY!"
Again, all we heard was, "Brk, brk, brrk."
Ok, so back to real life. We now have chooks in our backyard, and yes we named them Max(Maxine), Doris and Penelope. Angel and I wanted Max to be Patsy, but the boys insisted on naming one of them and they chose Max. That's ok, I will refer to her as Maxine on occassion as it is more feminine.
Aren't they cute? Well as cute as any generic brown chook can be. If you look closely at their eyes though, they looked really freaked out. Like they've had too much speed or something.
My cute, freaked out looking chooks!

That egg was laid in the box on the way home. The first egg! It's proudly sitting in the fridge. I just might have it for breaky...poached.
I'm hoping there will be three more eggs tomorrow. We'll have to wait and see.

~ Ky x

8 comments:

georgina said...

That is so cool.... Love that you have chooks in suburbia. I hope they bring you plenty of good eggs for brekkies!
Oh and I loved your 'imaginary chook conversations'. you make me laugh... I imagine funny things like that too, but Mr N doesn't always get it though.

NessaKnits said...

The colours of this are no good. I can't read the text.

Bebie said...

Your chookies are beautiful Ky.
Are women called "silly old chooks" because we have an affinity with them - we know what they're saying? lol
An egg by the time you got home; how cool is that?!
XX

by marie-nicole said...

Cute story Ky.

When we were kids we had chooks, 'heaps' something like 20-30 in two big pen houses, after school I'd take a stool and a book and sit in their pen and read them stories... I loved doing that. I always thought they could understand me and were chatting amongst themselves about the story I was reading.

How was your egg this morning? Did they lay more for you?

Have fun with your new feathered friends.
xx

Yining said...

Beautiful hens! We have two in our backyard and they've grown well over the last two months.

Ours are abt 1.5 yrs old and they lay and egg each everyday.

Hope you'll have more eggs from them!! Exciting to have your own eggs hot from the backyard!

Cornflakes and Honey said...

Oh Ky, I'd love to have hens in my backyard (if I had a backyard!!) How fab to be able to have frsh real 'free range' eggs for brekkie! xx

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh we love chookies! They are the best, best pets ever. Our kids pick ours up and carry them around tucked under th their arm. Daily they bring one or two into the house in said manner to say good morning or good night to me!

Donna said...

Oh Ky, I can't wait to get new hens for our coop. I've had 35 at a time..and they all had names. :o) I named one Beatrix after Beatrix Potter, one was Java Latte, and one Henny Penny. Your photos are making me feel so sad for my 'empty nest'..but I'm happy for you! There's nothing like the elation of that first egg. I've had several years of experience with chickens (chooks?) so if this is your first time and you have any questions..just drop me a note. Have you raised chickens before? You seem to have a great pen for them.

xo
Donna @ Comin' Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails