I came across this lovely plate in an op shop a few days ago. It has been nursing our bananas since it came to live with us. It was the right price, so I snapped it up. Can't go past an old, pretty plate for $5. I am quite sure it will serve me well. I don't even mind that it has a stain in the middle of it, or that the glaze is all cracked. I rather like that look. It's been well used.
This is the makers stamp on the back of it (sorry it's sideways). I thought the sailing ship was cute. Makers stamps really don't mean much to me unless it's something well known like Royal Doulton, Wedgewood, Noritake...you get the idea.
And then there's this bowl and jug set. It's a very cute set that my darling husband nicked from his cousins holiday house (he knows me so well). He also nicked some pottery stuff. Yikes!!! I didn't like that stuff in the 80's and 90's and I certainly don't like it now(he brought them home just in case I wanted them). I thought he'd stopped off at a pottery barn. I REALLY don't like pottery barns. So, I dropped them off at the local Salvo's store...they can have them. Anyway...
The only stamp this one has on the bottom says JAPAN. That immediately tells you that it's a cheap knock off...made to look like it's collectable. It is a very sweet little set though, so I'm going to keep it.
I'm just not sure what to use it for, so for now it will sit atop my slowly growing collection of old plates. One day I hope to have enough old plates and bowls to be able to set the table with them. You know, shabby chic style. Nothing matching.
Well, better be off now. I have some curtains to try and sew. It's been a few years since I've sewn anything, so I have to go and use my brain to work out how wide to cut the fabric plus add on the seams...aarrrrgh, my brain hurts already. I will show you how I go when they are up. Until then, enjoy your day!
~ Ky x
p.s. The fabric that the plate is sitting on is what I am making the curtains out of.

1 comment:
Love the new plate. Soaked with slightly diluted bleach could greatly reduce the dark colour. Could pour it into the plate or place a highly-soaked rag over it.
I was fortunate enough to see the little jug and bowl which i too, think is very pretty.
love mum XX
Post a Comment