Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bruno's Garden

Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful, crisp, sunny winter's day here. It was just too beautiful to stay indoors, so Mum, the kids and I drove out to Marysville to visit a garden that Mum has been wanting to see for quite some time. It's a garden that was destroyed by the Black Saturday firestorm. All of Marysville was devastated and destroyed that day.  Sitting in Bruno's Garden amongst the tall gums and looking around at the hills that are covered with these trees, one can only imagine the horror of the firestorm in all it's fury cascading down through the forests, claiming everything in it's path. The roar of the fire must have been deafening. A sound that could never be forgotten.

So, there we were yesterday, wandering through this garden that has been cleaned up and rebuilt. The work that has gone into restoring it is just tremendous. We will be visiting it again in a year or two. The plants will have grown back a lot by then and it will probably look a lot like it did before it was destroyed. We wandered through, enjoying the sunlight and the sounds of nature. Spotting the whimsical, beautiful and just plain weird sculptures that Bruno has crafted out of his imagination. We loved it and the kids had a grand time racing through the paths.

This is the entrance to the garden. It's also pretty much one of the only photos I could get of both the kids standing still and looking at the camera.




She is my favourite. I'm not sure why, but I really like her!
I actually really like this bloke too. He looks right at you and I can just hear him playing that didge like an old pro.



You can see the regrowth on the gum trees in this photo. I think this tree guy has been through the firestorm too. The branches look rather blackened.
I should have taken this photo further out so you could see that this whimsical character is standing on the upturned roots of a gum tree that has fallen over. It's like he has come to life out of the roots. Fantastic!
This is such a beautiful sculpture. I really like this one too.

As soon as I saw this man I thought to myself, "Now here's a man in utter contentment!"
This cute guy survived the firestorm too. Originally there were a few more branches, but most of them have survived, albeit a little blackened.


 




These are only a few of the photos I took of the sculptures throughout the garden. There are so many more! It's such a tranquil place, and in a year or two it will be spectacular!

~ Ky x

2 comments:

rockmelon said...

i was mesmerised, they are amazing! glad to see they touched you, art has such a story to tell. Hope you are enjoying time with your mum, say hi from me!

georgina said...

looks like an amazing garden space - even more inspiring to know what they have lived through and are re-building it all again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails