Moving on... I thought you might like to see some before and afters. I have to admit that I'm not totally happy with the curtains. I think I need to make them a little narrower. They are thermal lined which makes them a heavy, stiff fabric which doesn't gather and hang very well. You will see what I mean in the photos. It's very hard to open them as there is too much gather at the top.
Bare windows that have been letting a lot of our heating disappear.
Monkey has never seen me use the sewing machine before. Being a very curious 3 year old, he was right in there a lot of the time. I had to constantly tell him to leave the machine alone. You should have seen the sheer delight on his beautiful face when the bobbin ran out of thread and I had to put some more on. He wanted me to do another one, and another one...
This machine actually belongs to my Mum. It must be at least 30 years old. My sister had it for awhile and now it is living at my house until I buy my own. Mum loves her Bernina. It is a beaut machine! She has been kind enough over the years to lend it to us girls as she has a Janome at her place..
I might add too, that Monkey would lie on the table behind the machine and insisted on pulling out the pins on the curtains as I was sewing. I had to call out the colour of the pin and then he would reach his little hand through the machine and pull it out. It made the process a little slower, but it kept him out of trouble.
Ta- da!
Looks better, huh? This end of the house keeps a lot warmer now that they are up. They will help to keep the hot, western sun at bay in summer too. I didn't really want thermal lined curtains here. I would have loved some heavy lace, but I had to be practical. Oh well...
~ Ky x

7 comments:
Well done... looks great. Could be the beginning of something... more sewing to come perhaps?
heyy... terrific job! I can feel the warmth! good boy for helping mummy Levi.
The Bernina should be around 32 yrs. old. The Janome is about 25 yrs. old. Love 'em both. lol
Love Mum XX
clever clogs! they look great x
They look pretty good to me.
Home Ec sewing... don't remind me... still strikes fear into my heart.
That is a fabulous idea Ky! I have windows that get full sun all summer and I hate how hot it gets in front of my desk. The laundry room has the same problem. I never thought to use white thermal curtains! I'm Sooo going to do that!
Thanks,
Donna
great job. i have made curtains for most of our houses, know how you feel! I have ended up with my mums sewing machine too, not new and without the gizmos of today but has seem much mileage and has made everything from clothes for my babies to recovering a sofa! R
well done sis... they look good!
Post a Comment