Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Tuesday, July 27, 2010

For Those Who Truly Appreciate Weeds and Moss

I'd never seen sour grass before I moved to Victoria. It started growing in my garden a few months ago. It looks very much like clover, but a completely different flower. It's a very dainty yellow flower. I haven't down any weeding since we moved here and the front garden was almost overcome with sour grass. I am currently spending hours pulling it out.


When my Mum was visiting  last month, she brought some of these flowers inside and made me chew the end of the stalk. It is VERY sour. I might add, she took great delight in seeing the look on my face when I tasted the sourness. She told me that when she was a child, her and her friends loved to chew on the end of the sour grass. Yes, she's a Victorian, even though she has lived in Queensland for the past 36 years. And that, dear friends, is one of her childhood memories. And tha nks to Mum, I learned what this weed is called. It is EVERYWHERE!

I mowed the front lawn yesterday. I hadn't done it all winter. So I was amazed to see that a lot of the lawn is actually that carpety type of moss! It's just beautiful! The front yard doesn't see much sun and so the lawn stays damp and cold all of the time. Perfect conditions for moss.



 I know, I know, you're wondering why I'm blogging about weeds and moss. Well, I think they are pretty and I like to share pretty things.

Now, one more pretty flower for you. My first pansy of the season. Come to think of it, I think pansies are an 'all year round' flower. Ok, so it's the first pansy from the plants I put in the pot a couple of months ago. They grow so sllloooowww in winter.

~ Ky x

5 comments:

georgina said...

love the moss! beautiful to lay on (except that it is damp i guess?) but oh, the never-ending weeds. they do frustrate me I must say.

Clarissa Emily said...

Love it! I wish we could get vegetation like that here in Arizona, but alas, it is too HOT! Thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! I'm just starting out my new blog and I appreciate the support! :)

Clarissa Emily said...

P.S. A "cloche" by definition is a bell-shaped glass cover placed over a plant to protect it or over food to keep it fresh. I plan on making mine into a pedestal cloche. :)

~Clarissa Emily

Ky said...

Thanks for enlightening me about the cloche Clarissa Emily. Can't wait to see photos of the end product.
I'm looking forward to following your blog progress.

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog looking for what this plant is called. I have the same childhood memory and now my 2 year old loves to pick a stem to chew on every time we go by a patch on our afternoon bike rides. I thought it was clover too- but know I know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails