Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Sunday, June 6, 2010

Precious Children

It was the 9th August 1973. A young family started the day like they did every other day.

"You see, Dad hopped in the car to go to work and as he was driving down the driveway, Matthew pressed his little face against the window in the lounge room waving and shouting, "bye bye daddy, bye bye daddy". I think you were playing with some toys in the loungeroom. Then he went over to the warm oil-heater as I washed dishes at the sink. He sat down on the little vinyl foot stool and said, "Come and hug me mummy" and I thought, "Oh there's so much to do and dishes to be done but what the heck." I felt compelled. I went and sat down and hugged my little son. I enfolded him in my arms and we sat just talking, and hugging and kissing. That was the very last time I would hold my child and now I have to wait until Jesus comes when his angel brings him to me." (Words from an email my Mum sent me regarding the Autumn Leaves and a Monkey blog I just posted).


Later that morning tragedy struck.  Every loving mothers worst nightmare! Mum found Matthew floating in a neighbours dam. It was no more than a pond really, but for a 3 year old it was deep enough to end his precious little life. It was five days after he had turned 3 yrs old.
 
I feel a need to share this story today because I don't always spend time with my children when they ask me to, but on Friday I did. I went out to the backyard and played with Monkey instead of preparing dinner and doing a few other chores. It struck me that I am often too "busy" doing my own thing to play with my children or give them the attention they not only want, but need. My children are 5 and 3 now and that time has gone so incredibly fast. I have decided to make a conscious effort to stop what I am doing and go and play with my children when they ask me to, otherwise that moment is lost forever. I will never have a chance to do that with them again at that age.
I've never forgotten Mum saying to me years ago that while we were growing up, whenever we asked for a hug or a kiss she would always drop what she was doing and oblige. That has stuck with me and I try to do the same for my children. Sometimes I turn them away when I am in the middle of doing something and then I remember Mum's words.
We never know how long we will have them for, or how long they will have us for. They are only on loan to us. Every moment counts! Every hug, every kiss, every I love you. They are incredibly precious!Irreplaceable!

5 comments:

georgina said...

Hey Ky. Oh your family's story is so moving. My heart goes out to your mum and dad (who I saw on the w/e). Thank-you for sharing.
Funny I have had a few of those special moments with the boys in the last week too. I think sometimes God whispers in our ear about the need for 'now'.
Love you. Talk soon
G x.

CraftyMummy said...

Thank you for sharing. I need that reminder to stop and be with my kids more. I'm teary over your family's story. The sort of story that breaks your heart as a mum!

Yining said...

Thank you for the reminder, Kylie! A lot of times, I'll tell Phoebe to wait a while more and I don't get back to her. Will be making a conscious effort to stop and enjoy time with her.

rockmelon said...

We should never underestimate the power of play and time, they are the stuff of memories. I just want to run in and kiss my sleeping kids again after your post...hope sparkles doesn't it?

by marie-nicole said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Ky, even though I know the story of your family it still brings tears to my eye.

I have great respect for your mum she is a very special lady who raised very special adults.

Love to all of you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails