Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Modern Day Epidemic

WARNING If you are currently suffering from depression you may not want to continue reading. If you aren't currently suffering from depression then go for your life!

I have an illness called Depression. It's an illness I know a lot about. I have done my fair share of research about it. I have cried my fair share of tears because of it. Sometimes all day long, for no apparent reason. It's insidious, it's debilitating. It's an illness that is easily misdiagnosed and misunderstood. It's an illness that so many people suffer and don't even realise it. It's horrible, it's evil and I hate it!

I was 18 when I think it really reared it's ugly head. All of a sudden, I slept a lot. I cried a lot. I couldn't function normally or keep up with my peers. I was at college doing my first year of primary teaching. I didn't even get to finish the year out because I was so sick that I had to go home. I never went back. A doctor misdiagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. That was the "in" illness at the time. If only he had looked further and seen that I was depressed and given me the correct treatment. My life would have turned out so differently. Instead I just plodded along, in a haze, unable to make good life choices or to even really enjoy life.

Fast forward a few years. I found a doctor who was able to help me. He put me straight on meds called Zoloft. What a relief! My moods were smoothed out somewhat. Not as many days feeling such deep, deep despair and when I did, it was nowhere near as bad. I was finally able to have some sort of control over how I felt and functioned. My thought patterns became more positive.

I have been on meds now for 12 years. There have been brief periods where I stopped taking it and went back down into the depths. I then self medicated with drugs and alcohol, which of course only exacerbates the problem. Such darkness...

A few years back I saw a psychiatrist who put me onto a new medication and I had a really bad episode one day. It was too strong and while at home, by myself, one day I was overcome with the most awful feelings and thoughts. I literally wanted to kill myself just to make it stop. I've had death thoughts before, but nothing like this. It was like being on speed, but a REALLY bad hit. I mean REALLY bad. The only thing I could think of to do was lie down and go to sleep. When I woke up a couple of hours later I was back to normal. It scared the absolute life out of me. I changed doctors.

I found a psychiatrist who put me onto Efexor XR, which I am still taking. I have no side effects from it and as long as I take it every single day, it controls my mood swings, anxiety and general depressive feelings. If I miss taking it one morning, by that evening my thought patterns are already changing for the negative and I become a bit irrational. My Baby always knows if I've missed it.

There is a lot of controversy about whether antidepressant medication should be taken or not. I can see why. It can be difficult to find the right drug for someone. Some meds do cause people to have psychotic episodes or commit suicide. I understand that, but I also understand that they may not be taking them correctly or following instructions. With some of the drugs, if you just stop taking them, they will cause a huge negative reaction in the brain. Hello! You are using powerful drugs on your brain! If you are monitored closely by a doctor and follow instructions then there shouldn't be a problem...most of the time.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little of my journey with depression. I believe I have it for life. And that's ok. I know it can be controlled. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed to talk about it or the fact that I have to take meds every day. I know a few people who are, but I'm not. It's normal for me. I understand how it all works because of my history with it and the massive ups and downs I've had with it. I'm very sad for people who don't have it under control because that never ending pit of despair and darkness is the most horrible place in the world to be. I don't wish it upon anybody.

On that note, have a happy day!

5 comments:

CraftyMummy said...

Thank you for sharing so much. I feel like I've got to know you more by reading your blog and your facebook recently than I ever knew when we saw each other at MOPS. I admire you so much!
Also it helps me better understand a friend I have here so thanks.

Bebie said...

I think you're brave bearing part of your soul like this. I love you so very much and it's such a privilege being your mum. XX

Sabbar said...

cant wait for heaven where all our broken bits will be fixed.... love ya sis xxxx

georgina said...

You are a brave soul indeed. Thank-you for sharing with us and being real. Love you friend.

Ky said...

Thank you all for your kind words. Didn't expect quite that response. I guess this has been so much a part of me for so long that I don't think it's such a big deal talking about it. I just want people to know that they are not alone in their suffering and that it is ok to talk about.
Yes Chrissy, can't wait to feel whole, positive and joyful all the time when we are with our Father in heaven.

Related Posts with Thumbnails