Over the past couple of years I have often wondered about how I am going to keep my little girl a little girl for as long as possible. Advertising and the media are making our girls want to grow up really fast and it seems almost impossible to stop it. On Saturday I saw my Dad and he handed me this book. He and my sister in law had both heard the author, Maggie Hamilton, being interviewed on the radio. Dad found it and bought us a copy each as we both have girls. Thanks Dad, I really need this kind of help in this day and age.
I read the first few chapters last night and am appalled to find that advertising companies are now aiming ads and logos at babies. I really can't wait to finish this book and be better educated and prepared on how to avoid the traps and pitfalls that would cause my daughter to grow up and think that she has to have this brand and that brand to be someone or be loved.
I will be talking about this book again when I have finished reading it.
Watch this space...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Thanks Ky. Love to hear about stuff I need to know! There's just so much out there...
Yes, there's definitely more to advertising than just a little 'pester-power' for us parent's to be worried about... will be interested to read what else you learn in the book.
isnt it a great book!!? I have been reading it too, and its good because I can then go to myself saying, ok I need to cut back on that, and increase doing this etc etc.
Post a Comment