Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Crochet and Knitting

A good friend of mine has started teaching me how to crochet. I've never been interested in learning until recently. I have a dream of making one of those granny blankets from crochet squares. I love them and it would be great to have made one myself. I have to say that being a knitter and then picking up a crochet hook is quite frustrating. Below is a photo of my progress so far. Three rows of loops that took over half an hour to do. It was VERY slow going and I felt like I had very little control over that hook. I slowly got the hang of it, but still need an awful lot of practice to feel comfortable and have a steady flow going.
 
I will not give up the knitting though. I'm not a highly skilled knitter. I only know the basic knit stitch and haven't a clue how to read a pattern, but I am going to learn. My friends mum is a skilled knitter and is very happy to teach me everything I need to know about knitting. Stitches and patterns included. I'm very grateful to her for wanting to help me as I was going to start going to knitting classes and that costs money that isn't really in the budget at the moment. The three of us will be able to get together and knit and crochet to our hearts content.
The squares in the photo below are a few years old now. I haven't done much knitting since the kids came along, but I am very eager to pick up those knitting needles and get back into it. These squares are supposed to become a blanket. I have quite a few more to make before there will be enough to put together for a decent size blanket. I won't be using the green ones because I just don't think it would look good with the other colours.
 I'll have to show you when I finish it.

4 comments:

by marie-nicole said...

Good on you for trying to learn a new craft. I;m sure you'll get faster with practice.

I've bought crochet hooks and intended on giving it a go but have not got around to it yet.

Can't wait to see the blanket/s you make.
Enjoy!

Bebie said...

Jolly good going Ky! Victoria has that kind of weather/winter atmosphere to bring out the crochet and knitting. You'll do well once you get going.
Love, mum XX

Lindz said...

WOW! I am very impressed Ky Ky.... that's great! good on you! Keep it up! Now I know what has been keeping you occupied these days. :)

Unknown said...

i did some beanies two years ago and was very proud of myself. Of course my left handed daughter wanted to learn... trying to teach her really scrambled my bain! Still going at it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails