Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. - anonymous






Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My garden needs some lovin'.

So you know that in the past week and a half we have moved house. It's one of my most unfavourite things to do! All the packing, cleaning, unpacking, purging, cleaning, decision making...it's the decision making that I dislike the most. It actually hurts my brain to have to make decisions about what to keep and what to throw out, give away, where to put everything, which cupboards, which rooms...blah, blah, blah....argh! I'm just sooooo over stuff!!!


Some of the front garden (neighbours house in the background). Notice there are TWO hydrangea in this garden? I've always wanted one of those and now I have two!

I'm completely off track now. What I really wanted to talk about is the garden that comes with living in this house. It's the most garden that I have ever had the pleasure of having to look after. It is, however, in need of some tender loving care. Especially the roses. I've never had roses before. I'm not too sure what to do with them. Maybe you can give me some tried and true advice on how to make them really pretty again.



What do I do?? What do I do?? Help!!!

We are also blessed with some fruit trees.

A giant lemon tree. Very exciting indeed given how expensive they are to buy in the shops.

A cherry tree that needs a bit of a prune.

A crooked apple tree.

One of the not yet ripe apples.

Monkey took it upon himself a couple of days ago to bring over a step ladder and pick some of the lower apples. Lets just say Mummy wasn't too happy about it.


A gigantic gardenia bush.

And some tree ferns next to the big, inground spa which I happened to be sitting in this morning while I had my morning cuppa. Bliss.
Those boards aren't staying either. We just haven't got a cover for it yet, so they are doing the job for now.

So, you can see the garden needs a bit of a prune here and there, but my biggest challenge is the roses. Actually, maybe my biggest challenge is trying to hang the washing on the clothesline.
Kidding! I haven't used it. It's being replaced tomorrow.


I should add that there is a blackberry bush climbing over the top of the fence behind the clothesline too. Yum!

Happy Australia Day to all my fellow Aussies!
Hope you're having a great day!

~ Ky x


9 comments:

Photography said...

Oh so nice! I am not a green thumb so can't help you but I can appreciate your garden :-) How nice to have an apple tree and lemons. I am in sort mode right now (UGH) and we aren't even moving and yep it's hurting my brain....

Z said...

Wow... love all the fruit trees.... and the spa. Nice! Sorry, can't help you with advice... I always ask my mother-in-law.

I'm a little over stuff too... with you on that.

petals and vintage said...

Well, arent you lucky Ky. How fabulous and a cherry tree. Hope you will be very happy there.

Thanks for my award I will sort it out soon. x

About roses, mine thrive on neglect and I prune them when I like. Not sure if that is a good thing or not!Look forward to heaps of photos though. Pam x

Ky said...

Thanks Pam. I was actually counting on you for some advice. I shall prune and neglect and see how I go.

georgina said...

Hey K
Wow I am loving your garden. Magnificent Hydrangeas, Fruit Trees and the rest! Can't wait to see it in person soon.
Oh and I am not a rose person either, I have only bought one miniature variety in a pot my entire life. Perhaps you could add this to your regular posts and teach us something about roses...? But here is a starting place.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2943680.htm

Gx

by marie-nicole said...

Wow Ky, what a fantastic garden! The fruit trees, flowers, grassy areas... it looks like it will be quite a productive garden for you. Enjoy learning how to care for it and using the goodies it produces.
xx

Farmgirl Paints said...

well you have been busy girl. nothing like a move to make you want to get rid of everything. actually just going on a trip and having to unpack my suitcase makes me want to throw it all out;) i've missed you. i can see what you've been up to now!!

Bebie said...

Love the garden!
Gardening Australia will give you every bit of advice you need on any aspect of the garden.
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/

In the garden section is a search and if you just type in "roses" you'll get heaps of advice and No. 11 is on pruning. XX

Donna said...

What a garden and backyard, KY! Oh you must truly be in heaven. Be sure to take care of it..mine is in disrepair and after a look around today, I realized I'm going to have to spend an hour every morning to get my poor azaleas, Camillas, crepe myrtles..and rose bushes healthy again. Between the freeze and the leaf cutter ants, I'm about in despair. Sigh.. Your yard looks wonderful--great fruit trees! I'm no gardener, but I've just discovered someone who is. You can even send her a photo and she could perhaps help. Her blog is Fishtail Cottage. I link to her on Thursdays for Cottage Flora Thursday so when you drop by next you can check her out.

I'm drooling over your spa area! Super nice!

xo
Donna

Related Posts with Thumbnails