As dinner concluded last evening, my hubby asked me for the jar that was sitting on the kitchen bench. It contained this little nasty. He found it under the lip of a pot plant while he was moving them. He thought it was about time our kids learned what this spider looks like and what it is called and what will happen if they are bitten by one.
Of course, those of you who live in Australia are more than familiar with this creepy crawly. It's one of our more poisonous nasties. It's a Red Back Spider.
If an adult is bitten by one they may feel rather unwell. If a small child is bitten by one, it may kill them.
The kids now know about this spider and are to tell either of us about it so that we can destroy it.
Of course Monkey was rather curious about it and kept getting in the way while I was trying to photograph it as Angel wanted to take it to school next week for show and tell, but cos she can't actually take a poisonous spider to school, we will print out the photo so she can take that instead. A much safer option.
Once I'd finished trying to get a decent photo of it I tipped it out on the cement and whacked it with a shoe. No more spider.
Apologies to those of you who are arachnaphobes, but it IS only a photo on a computer screen.
~ Ky x

5 comments:
Oh I don't like red backs at all. I havent seen one around this house ever, so I am pretty pleased with that I must say!
Have a great day. Pam x
It is a fact of life in Australia. I believer what you did is just perfect, educating children about the dangers is far better than spraying poisonous chemicals around the house so they never come across one.
Qe can teach them to be aware of spiders, but how do we stop them from being poisoned by chemicals they cannot see?
Nice photographing too Ky.
xx
Hi Ky, Happy Thanksgiving! I'm assuming you guys celebrate it too..do you?
Anyway, wow. Lovely spider! Too bad such pretty creatures have to be so dangerous. I've never heard of or see one before. We have plenty around our house though. The only one we are really afraid of is the brown recluse. I have a friend whose 20 yr. old daughter still has a dip in her leg where it bit her and then the venom ate away the flesh. It's really terrible. We are always on the watch for those babies. And sadly, they are amazingly common.
Show and tell..now that is too funny! You are a smart mom to send a photo. My husband wore a live chicken snake (very docile) around his neck for the the funny tie contest at church a few years ago. He won hands down since the kids were the judges. But one mom almost had a heart attack.
Living in the country as we do, we aren't afraid of much except rattlesnakes and copperheads.
You really take amazing nature photos Ky! BTW, as soon as I added the little comment about the antiques, I thought, "Hmmm..wonder if Ky will be reading this?" I was so tickled that you had caught that. Ha!
Trying to stay focused on the kids and holiday festivities. We will be hanging lights and decorating for Christmas today. Have a great weekend and enjoy little monkey. I must say my boys taught me to appreciate nature in a whole new way. They do so love bugs and other creepy crawlies don't they?
xo
Donna @ Comin' Home
Ky, Are you aware that your background from Hot Bliggity Blog is not showing up? It makes your lettering for comments and the side bar text not show up at all. I noticed it the last time I was here.
I know they had a problem with losing their photos from one of the photo services. I just noticed mine was missing from my cooking blog.
Just curious? :o)
deep breaths...it's only a computer screen. YIKES!!!
Post a Comment